Pope Francis creates 19 new Cardinals
Pope Francis created 19 new Cardinals on Saturday, the Feast of the Chair of St Peter the Apostle. The newly created Cardinals received the insignia of their office – the red biretta and the cardinal’s ring – in a streamlined ceremony conducted entirely in Latin.
Eighteen of the new princes of the Church were present, while Cardinal Loris Capovilla, the 98 year-old former secretary to Bl. John XXIII and Archbishop-emeritus of Chieti-Vasto in Italy, was created in absentia.
A very special guest was on hand, as well: Pope-emeritus Benedict XVI, whom Pope Francis had invited to share in the occasion. The Pope and the Pope-emeritus embraced warmly and exchanged greetings before the ceremony began.
- Polscy biskupi na Mszy św. przy grobie Jana Pawła II
- Cardinal Dziwisz on Publication of Bl. John Paul II's Personal Notes
- 3 Reasons Young People Love the Church and What We Can Learn From Them
- Upcoming Concert Will Celebrate Popes John Paul II and John XXIII
- Pope on World Communication Day: Slow Down, Engage and Help